The References Module is essentially a bibliographic interface linking inventoried artworks with relevant exhibition and bibliographic citations. It is also designed to manage a physical library. While citations may be edited to suit the user's preferences, the References Module in Artsystem5 makes it easy to enter various items and automatically formats the entries correctly, according to the Chicago Manual of Style.
There are 9 different types of References to create and each Reference has a variety of formats to choose for the Reference Type:
- Book: Auction Catalogue, Book (Other Media), Book (Print), Exhibition Catalogue (Gallery), Exhibition Catalogue (Museum)
- Reference: Database, Database (Web), Dictionary (Other Media), Dictionary (Print), Dictionary (Web), Encyclopedia (Other Media), Encyclopedia (Print)
- Visual Media: Film, Other Media, Slides, Television, Video
- Journal: Journal (Other Media), Journal (Print), Journal (Web)
- Magazine: Magazine (Other Media), Magazine (Print), Magazine (Web)
- Newspaper: Newspaper (Other Media), Newspaper (Print), Newspaper(Web)
- Exhibition: Art Fair, Corporate, Gallery, Museum, Other, Studio, Website
- Personal Communication: Interview, Lecture, Letter
- Formal Paper: Master Thesis (Print), Master Thesis (Web), PhD Dissertation (Print), PhD Dissertation (Web)
Users choose the specific format when entering the new Reference (Image A) but the option can also be altered directly on the Work Record (Image B).
Open the Reference Detail Pane
Double-click on any Reference in the grid to open the Reference Detail Pane and the Reference Preview Panel.
The Reference Detail Pane includes several panes to access additional information: Main, Works, Images, Documents, Library and Notes.
- Main: The Main Pane contains basic Reference details and note the information changes depending on the Reference Type and Format. The information entered in the Main Pane's fields will help create both the Abbreviated Entry and the Verbose Entry fields.
- Abbreviated Entry: The Abbreviated Entry is a short entry compiled from the fields entered which serves as the records identifying contents. The Abbreviated Entry appears on the Works Reference Pane as the Short Entry.
- Verbose Entry: The Verbose Entry is the formal entry compiled according to the Chicago Manual of Style from the fields entered. The Verbose Entry appear in Artsystems5 reports: The Works Infosheet, Works Full Page Detail and Works Catalogue Reports.
- Works: The Reference Works Pane displays all Works linked to the Reference record. Users can also remove Works from the Reference or link additional Works to the Reference from this pane.
- Images: The Images Pane is where users will document all visual images (The primary or main image plus any additional images).
- Documents: The Documents Pane is where users can save any documentation on the Reference Record (actual citation, additional documentation, etc.).
- Library/Category: The name of this Pane will be either Library (if Users are storing the physical citation such as Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.) or just Category (for citations such as Exhibition, Database, Lecture, etc.). The Library Pane tracks information for Location, Location Detail, ISBN#, Insurance Value, and Categories and the Category Pane has only the Category field . Categories may be added to any Reference in order to allow users to cull certain references together that share the same Categories.
- Notes: The Reference Notes Pane is a large Note field to document any information about the citation.
NOTE: The Reference Preview Panel on the right side of record is not active at this time.
View all Work records linked to References on the Reference Works Pane.
Reference Works Pane:
When you click on a Work record on the Reference Work Pane the Eye icon appears.
Click the Eye icon to open the actual Work record. On the Work record, click on the Works References Pane to view all Reference links to the Work record.
Works References Pane:
Notice also that on the Works Reference Pane users can add Comments on the Reference such as page number or illustration citations. Comments will append to the Verbose Entry of the citation on the Works Infosheet, Full Page Detail, and Catalogue Reports.
IMPORTANT: Additional Works may be added to the Reference record from either the Reference Works Panes or the Works Reference Panes.
The Works Infosheet
The Infosheet is a special report A5Artsystems users can generate which pulls together information from Works Details, Works Provenance and any Reference linked in the Works References module (Exhibitions, Literature, etc.).
Provenance info was entered on the Works Provenance Pane. Exhibitions and Bibliography information displays the Verbose Entry on the Reference record, plus any Comments which were added on the Works Reference Pane. SEE SEE How to I save Infosheet to Work Record?
Infosheets linked to Work records on the Works Document Pane may be included in the Exhibition Private Viewing Room. SEE How to Add a Private Viewing Room.