Work records are entered for all inventory. Users will use Work Records to maintain all aspects of the inventory, images, purchase history, value history, provenance, etc.
When looking at the grid, the first column is used for Marking the record to select for a list or report.
- Click the Checkmark icon to Mark a record.
The second column in the grid displays Ownership Color Codes:
The third column in the grid displays Status Color Codes:
- Not For Sale:
All Works entered will be Available (GREEN). Works status will display Sold (RED) when an Invoice or Cash Sale is created. Works out on Consignment, Loan, Offer, or Exhibition will display as Out (YELLOW).
Users can mark the Status for Works as Inactive (BLACK), Not for Sale (ORANGE), and Reserved (PINK) on the Works Detail Pane.
Open the Works Detail Pane
Double-click on any Work in the grid to open the Work Detail Pane and the Work Preview Panel.
The Works Detail Pane includes several panes to access additional information: Details, Images, Documents, Notes, Conditions, Activity, Financials, Provenance, and References.
- Details: The Details Pane contains basic Work details (artist, title, year, signature, etc.) but also includes classification fields (Types, AltTypes, Categories, etc.) and 6 User-defined fields.
- Images: The Images Pane is where users will document all visual images (The primary or main image plus any additional images).
- Documents: The Documents Pane is where users can save any documentation on the Work Record (condition reports, certificate of authenticity, etc.).
- Notes: The Works Notes Pane is a large Note field to document any information about the artwork.
- Conditions: The Conditions Pane is where users can document all physical attributes for condition including frame and shipping information.
- Activity: The Activity Pane will display all location changes and Transactions where the work was included, such as Shipments, Consignments, Loans, etc.
- Financial: The Financial Pane will display the Source of where the work was from plus purchase, consignment, or co-ownership information, and includes Values (Retail, Insurance, Appraisal, and 3 User-defined Values) plus Value History and Expense History.
- Provenance: The Provenance Pane keeps track of past and current ownership.
- References: The References Pane works in conjunction with the References Module to document all bibliography and exhibition references for the record.
The Work Preview Panel on the right side of record is where users can see a brief overview of the Work Record and it includes an Action Bar in the center: Present, Reports, Transactions, and Share.
- Present: Select Present to display the Presentation View where users see one Work with details in full screen.
- Reports: Select Reports for an easy way to run the commonly used reports: Catalogue, Full Page Detail, and Infosheet.
- Transactions: Select Transactions for the easiest way to create Transactions from Works: Invoice, Offer, Consign Out, Cash Sale, Shipment, Loan, Receive Works, Reacquire Works (NOTE: Reacquire Works allows users to change Ownership on a Work, this is the only Transaction users create from ONLY the Works Module).
- Share: Select Share to easily email the work and image via email.
To ensure that data can be retrieved easily it is important to define how to use the classification fields: Types, Alt Types, Period, Style, Country, and Categories. All List Fields may be edited by selecting Works>Edit List Fields. SEE How to Maintain Works List Fields.
- Works Types: Types are considered a comprehensive overall description characterizing a particular kind of Artwork, such as Painting, Sculpture or Print (but this list is subjective based upon the work in all users inventory). Prior to entering data the User should decide a list of Types to designate for the Work records.
- Works Alt Types: Alternate Type is the secondary Type field and used for additional methods of classification, such as keeping track of Asset Groups, Designations for donations, etc.
- Period: Period is the description of a certain Period or Era such as Zhou Dynasty, the Baroque Period, and the Harlem Renaissance.
- Style: Style is the definition of a particular art movement such as Contemporary, Modern, Neoclassical, etc.
- Country: The Country field is to note the artwork's country of origin.
- Work Categories: Work Categories help to organize the classification of Work records. Unlike Types (which are overall definitions of the Work record), Categories can define more granular information. Categories entered on a Work record define the Work's attributes such as Landscape, Portrait, Butterfly Series, etc. Categories can also tag a Work for inclusion in a list such as Donation, Art Fair 2012, Returned to Artist, etc.
User Defined Fields
Users will define all User and User Value Fields to ensure data is entered consistently. Before getting started it is recommended to define all User and User Value Fields in the Settings Module. Since these fields are identical to Work Fields the User and User Value Fields are defined in the Works Module Settings. SEE Works Module Settings.
Suite Image Titles
If the Edition contains multiple images to be sold as a portfolio or suite, enter each title in the area provided under Suite Image Titles.