Just as in previous generations of Artsystems software, Rich Text Format or RTF files are the default format for all Artsystem5 report and document output. The handling of these files is controlled by the browser and operating system. Specific settings may vary by the browser and computer being used when accessing the database, but basic instructions are included below for for configuring Firefox browser and MacOS.
The first time Firefox is used to download any attachment, report, or document output from A5, a notification regarding pop-up windows may appear at the top of the browser page. Be sure to click the Preferences button and then choose the Allow pop-ups for... option. The file will then be downloaded to the default browser downloads folder.
After the RTF file is downloaded, click the Firefox browser Downloads button to open the list of recent downloads. Click to open the file or right-click on the RTF filename in the list to adjust the file handling settings. For convenience, the browser allows downloaded files to be opened automatically by choosing the Always Open Similar Files option.
To adjust the Firefox browser Preferences for file handling, use the basic steps outlined below:
- Click the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner of the Firefox window to open the browser menu, and click the Settings option
- In the General Settings page, scroll down to locate the Files and Applications section
- Under Downloads it is possible to change the default file download location or set the browser to Always Ask if preferred
- Under Applications it is possible to change the file handling preferences for individual content types
It is important to ensure that RTF files are set to open in Microsoft Word by default. Other applications such as TextEdit, GoogleDocs, or LibreOffice are not supported.
- Right-click an RTF type file and choose Get Info from the menu
- In the File Info menu, locate the Open With: section
- Set the default application to be Microsoft Word.app
- Click the Change All... button